The beginning of the year is a great time to make sure that your home is as safe as possible. One of the best ways to do that is to ensure that your home is ready for any potential disasters. There are some great ways to prepare your home for potential emergencies. Follow these tips to make sure your home is as safe as possible.
- Ensure access to emergency lighting in every room. In the case of an emergency, you want to make sure that you have access to a light source. In every room in your home, you should have battery operated flashlights or lanterns. This is a safe way to add light to a room in the case of a power outage. Be sure to put some extra batteries in a safe place in case you need them as well.
- Install a fire extinguisher on every floor and in the kitchen. You never know when you will need to use a fire extinguisher so it is smart to have one on every floor of your home so it can be reached quickly.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarm on every floor. It is best to have these near the bedrooms so that no matter the time, everyone will hear the alarms and will be able to get out in time.
- Keep an emergency first aid kit in the home. This can come in handy in a multitude of emergencies. Keep this well stocked and easy to access.
- Keep extra food and water available. You will want at least 3 days worth of supplies and food that you can eat without the use of electricity.
Be sure that you have an adequate home insurance policy. If you do not, contact Connect America Insurance Agency for a home insurance quote.